> The results that new, premium rechargeables have some advantages over
> throw-aways may be valid for the case of very new batteries taken directly
> from a charger and put to use.  I doubt that the results would be so pretty
> for mid-life charged spare batteries kept in reserve and carried in luggage
> at 80-90F during vacation travel.

I was viewing the article as more 'which rechargables are preferable' than
'are rechargables better than alkalines'.

Personally, I have 3 sets of rechargables in my camera bag, and I pack a
portable wall-wart style charger that can fit 4 AAs.  I've yet to burn
through all three sets before I have a chance to toss one set into the
charger.  I've found the rechargables to be more affordable overall than
when I was burning through alkalines, and I generate less waste as a
result.  It's possible they lose a bit of charge when stored, but I've
used a battery tester on them before putting them in the camera, and I've
seen no obvious degredation even after months of disuse without charging.

(Of course, it's moot right now for me, until I manage to reassemble my
camera after it took a fateful dive off of my desk.)

--
Michael Vieths
Foeclan at Visi.com