At 07:24 PM 9/2/2002 -0500, Daniel Taylor wrote:
>I think that upgradability is overrated (I've done enough of it
>over the last decade+ to have some perspective), and it only
>applies to desktop/server type systems. Laptops are rarely upgradable
>to any significant degree.

That was the major consideration in my ditching my PowerBook G3 for an
Athlon-based tower last year: I couldn't buy new hardware for it.
I was running Linux on the PowerBook and having all sorts of trouble
finding PowerPC-compatible software (since I'm not much good with
compilers), and I figured if I was going to run Linux, I should have the
hardware that Linux was designed to run on.

And then I bought the cheapest hardware available and found that it has all
sorts of incompatibilities, but that's another story.  ;-)

When I was a Mac guy I definitely found Mac hardware more reliable than
cheap PC stuff.  But cheap PC stuff is much easier to find.