Daniel Taylor wrote:

>>(compared to an x86 system that you can just swap in $100 worth of
>>components (motherboard, cpu) and have an up to date CPU and motherboard
>>that's capable of using all that old hardware from the last computer.)
>>

> I think that upgradability is overrated (I've done enough of it
> over the last decade+ to have some perspective), and it only
> applies to desktop/server type systems. Laptops are rarely upgradable
> to any significant degree.

I just can't resist.  Macs can be upgradeable you just have to know
where to look.  There is a complete motherboard replacement for the
PPC7200 but it only brings up to a 604 I believe (that was a few years
ago it might be a better board now or completely unavailable).  The 7500
has the cpu on a daughtercard so you can completely replace it (I put a
G3 cpu card in mine), granted OSX won't recognize some of these
upgrades, but linux runs great on it.

I've also had every PCI pc card I have work in my Mac 7500 running linux
with the notable exception of the Video card.  I still had to get a Mac
specific video card.  But I've thrown in usb expansion cards, modem
cards, serial cards, and ethernet cards without any problems.

http://www.smalldog.com has a nice mac selection (I'm not affiliated
with them, but I have purchased stuff from them and have always had good
service)

Eric