On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 21:55, Florin Iucha wrote:
>  On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 08:18:43PM -0500, rpgoldman at real-time.com wrote:
> > I'm not sure that the BFI solution would actually work.  To make it
> > work, the transaction protocol would have to be stateless enough that
> > the real player's interaction with the far end of the stream wouldn't
> > matter.  Not very likely, IMHO.
>
> It is UDP and it is steteless. Otherwise their servers would not
> scale.
>
> The only problem might be if there is a timestamp in the (most likely)
> encripted packed. But that could be solved by coding a library that
> would be preloaded for the RealPlayer client and it would serve it with
> the bogus time.

RealPlayer is designed to handle dropped packets, though, which you
generally don't want if you are downloading a file.  I think it may be
possible to force a Real client to use TCP instead of UDP, if you
manually configure the transport options on the Transport pane of the
Preferences window (just turn off the "attempt to use UDP" option).

Forcing TCP to be used might help the client problem you were having,
but I've seen streams that still don't work right (or are worse) with
things set that way.  Some realmedia files are just broken anyway..

I think I saw some utilities to save RTSP streams, though they would
only save streams that followed the RTSP standard, which neither Real
nor Apple (with Quicktime) do correctly, if I remember right.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Grow your own dope... plant