On Friday 31 May 2002 09:04, Chad Walstrom wrote:
> A note to those who might be license-wary.  LyX is licensed under a
> modified GPL because it links it's binaries against the XForms library.
> This library is not licensed under a Free Software license, rather a
> typical shareware/freeware license that limits "free" use to
> noncommercial or personal entities.  I remember there was talk about
> replacing the XForms GUI with another toolkit, but I haven't been
> following the development for a while.

	XForms, for ye license weary...er...wary, is now GPL. Not that it matters to
me, because it's such an ugly hunk of rottin' compost that I am ashamed to
have it on my box. Some things just should not be used, open OR closed source
as the case may be. But I digress.
	Currently, development is working on making LyX GUI independant. Currently,
there is the working XForms frontend (boo, hiss) and the QT frontend, while
not working, is nearly complete. (Still will not compile, so don't try.) The
GTK frontend, as I understand it, has a long ways to go. There has been talk
of adapting it for ncurses (!) and possibly some interface for handholds, but
this is strictly talk, mind you.
	:Peter