On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 08:57:30PM -0500, Peter Clark wrote:
> Have you considered contributing to LyX?

Some other information about LyX.  You were close when you quoted
"WYMIWYG" (What You Mean Is What You Get).  The LyX website quotes: "LyX
is the first WYSIWYM document processor". (What You See Is What You
Mean)  I'm cutting hairs here, but I thought you may want to know.  You
can read up more about LyX from their website[1].

A note to those who might be license-wary.  LyX is licensed under a
modified GPL because it links it's binaries against the XForms library.
This library is not licensed under a Free Software license, rather a
typical shareware/freeware license that limits "free" use to
noncommercial or personal entities.  I remember there was talk about
replacing the XForms GUI with another toolkit, but I haven't been
following the development for a while.

Another word processor to consider is AbiWord[2].  It's actually quite
useful, and a suitable replacement for WYSIWYG editors like M$ Word.
You can even export your document to different formats, such as DocBook
XML, LaTeX, HTML, XHTML, RTF, etc.

Another cool feature of AbiWord is its use of "plugins"[3].  If you
haven't already, check it out.