On Tuesday 28 May 2002 20:17, Kevin Bullock wrote:
> Second example: creating a professional-quality document. I'll leave
> Word out of this discussion because the only way to create a
> professional-quality document in Word is to beat your head against it
> for a really long time. Instead, consider LaTeX vs. InDesign. Which is
> easier? Having worked extensively with both, I can tell you, InDesign
> is. (Also a lot more expensive. I keep toying with the idea of writing a
> free (GUI) page layout program that uses TeX for a backend.)
	Have you considered contributing to LyX? I have never played with InDesign,
but so far, LyX is as close as you can come to a Free GUI for LaTeX. Of
course, it is not strictly a "page layout" program since it's WYMIWYG.
Actually, one of my gripes with LyX is that any time you want to so something
just a little bit different, you need to resort to LaTeX commands, but the
developers are working at making LyX support more LaTeX packages out of the
box.
	:Peter