On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 08:17:47PM -0500, Kevin Bullock wrote:
> First example: copying files. If they're in close directories ('cp
> ../foo .') or ones with short paths ('cp /vmlinuz ~') that's cool. But
> if they're buried, opening two Finder windows, browsing to the
> appropriate directories and dragging and dropping is quicker than typing
> in full paths.

I disagree. The CLI is *always* faster for coping/moving/deleting if :
  a) you know where the files are located,
  b) you can type reasonably well (blazing speed is not required),
  c) and you know how to use tab completion.
Of course this means that CLI is probably slower for newbies at
first, but once you get used to it, CLI can't be beat.  And don't
even get me started on dealing with multiple files with patterns
- this is where the CLI really shines.

> Second example: creating a professional-quality document. I'll leave
> Word out of this discussion because the only way to create a
> professional-quality document in Word is to beat your head against it
> for a really long time. Instead, consider LaTeX vs. InDesign. Which is
> easier? Having worked extensively with both, I can tell you, InDesign
> is. (Also a lot more expensive. I keep toying with the idea of writing a
> free (GddUI) page layout program that uses TeX for a backend.)

I've never heard of InDesign before, so I can't say anything
about it, but I agree that TeX can be a pain to get started with.
Once I did get started, though, I couldn't imagine going back to
Word or WordPerfect. LaTeX lets you concentrate on writing your
documents, and not obsessing over formatting.