----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel Schneider" <joel at joelschneider.net>
To: <tclug-list at mn-linux.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 04, 2002 2:29 PM
Subject: Re: [TCLUG] Buying a linux friendly laptop....

> On Sat, May 04, 2002 at 08:30:06AM -0500, destr0 wrote:
> > I bought a Toshiba satellite 2805 - S503 wich runs great, the only
problem
> > I've had with it is that the cdrom drive stopped readding media
reliably.
> > It doesn't like to read burnt cd's.  It just started happening out of
the
> > blue like 4 months after I bought it.  You can hear it spin up and down
> > reapetdly all the time.  The next time I buy it will probably be a Dell
> > Inspirion <= 8100
>
> There are different types of CDR media.  Some drives are unable to read
> certain types of media, so you may have better luck if you use a
> different CDR media.  For more info, see

I'm pretty sure that it's not just the media.  I have other discs it won't
read either,  my RH7.2 discs (box version),
it would't read the sims disc right out of the box either.  and when I try
those cd's on other drives on my network, they work fine.  The drive just
does weird stuff.  I'll put a cd in and it will just sit there and blink.
sometimes it makes a wierd ass clicking noise, other times it spins up to
super-sonic speed and my lappy starts vibrating and I have to push the eject
button to get it to stop.