I've been using a modified version of Apache::Album on my machine; it's been
modified to support Photoshop files, PDFs, and other such interesting
formats. The only problem is that ImageMagick (and the re-coding that I've
done) likes to call external programs to process these; these (gs, convert,
montage, etc.) guzzle down a few hundred megs of RAM like candy.\

It seems to make the box more responsive if I renice these processes to 10
or so.

Is there any sort of daemon available that automatically renices processes
matching a regexp?

This would be handy in other circumstances - auto-nicing bash to -5, squid
to -10 or so, and the occasional analog process to something low.

Thanks!

--
-aardvarko
http://aardvarko.com