On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 11:54:38PM -0600, Brian wrote:
> rm -rf is a great utility.  Unless, of course, you're in the wrong
> directory.  And so I ask, how can I go about recovering a directory
> that became victim to the almighty rm -rf?

Consider using libtrash.  This library remaps destructive calls to the C
library functions into a move to a trashcan in your home directory.
It's a runtime symbolically linked library that you can place in the
preload path.  It remaps calls to C functions such as link(), unlink(),
rename(), open(), etc.  That means that if you place this library in
/etc/ld.so.preload or in the environment variable in your login shell
(LD_PRELOAD=libtrash.so.1), ALL applications that have been compiled
against the GNU C library will have a Trashcan facility.

You can find libtrash at:

    http://freshmeat.net/projects/libtrash/
    http://www.m-arriaga.net/software/libtrash/
    http://www.m-arriaga.net/software/libtrash/libtrash-0.8.tgz

I recall there being an Intent To Package (ITP) email sent to
debian-devel not too long ago.  I don't see it in the Work-Needing and
Prospective Packages (wnpp) pages (http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp),
however.

If it doesn't go in soon, I'll probably make a package myself for this.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Get my public key, ICQ#, etc. $(mailx -s 'get info' chewie at wookimus.net)