I'm trying to build a headless mp3 jukebox and have the thing almost
all assembled, but I'm confused about how the sound devices work.

When I try to remotely login (ssh) to the jukebox, my attempts to play
sound files all fail, and the /dev/dsp that is there when I run from
the console is missing.  Normally, it's a link to /dev/sound/dsp.
Trying to give mpg123 /dev/sound/dsp doesn't work any better.

I have a vague memory that the way one logs in affects the nature of
the devices, but don't know where to track this down.  Doesn't seem to
be covered in the sound howto, possibly because it's distro-specific.

The jukebox is a Mandrake 8.1 box.  There are two sound cards, a
crummy on-board one and a nice CM8738 (thanks to Jay Austad's
recommendation).

As I said, the sound works just fine when I run mpg123 from the
console.  from a remote terminal, I just get

audio: no such file or directory.

A simple pointer to a place where I can RTFM would be great.  I should
probably grovel over the mpg123 source, but I was hoping someone might
have a quick answer.

Thanks,