On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 04:51:25PM -0500, Matthew S. Hallacy wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 12:38:44PM -0500, nate at refried.org wrote:
> > 2. Debian is not hard to install.  If you think otherwise, why do you
> >    think it is hard to install?  What makes other distributions easier
> >    to install?
>
> Debian is harder to install than just about any other distro except
> maybe slackware (Haven't reinstalled a slack box lately), things
> like having to download the entire base and put in on what, 6 floppies?

<distrowar>
This is simply not true.  I've installed Debian at least a dozen
times, and never had to install the base on floppies.  Although
I *did* download the images when I was thinking about trying to
install Debian on an old 386 laptop with no CDROM.  :-)

[snip]
> dselect, *gag* =)

OK, you nailed that one.  Dselect suxors. :-)

> Some people say you should have to configure everything on your own,
> but if you're of that school of thought, you're already spending your
> time running something like Debian or Slackware, personally I don't
> have the time to spend mucking around with things that I already know
> how to configure when the distro can do it for me (ie, kudzu).

Who said that when?  No reasonable person I am sure.  AFAIK Debian
has fairly decent default installs for its modules.  I do spend time
dicking around with configs but that's because I'm into nonstandard
Apache things.  I'd say I configure "by hand" < 1% of the packages
I install.  But how is using kudzu not "configuring something on
your own"?  Once you start changing parameters, does it matter if
your tool is vi or kudzu?

> Debian is 'cool' to people who get continually harassed by the people
> in various social forums that are called 'debian zealots', once they're
> running debian they're part of the in-crowd. Kind of sad actually.

I have never been harassed by Debian zealots, unless you count that
one time they tied me up in the woods.  But that was an anomaly,
I'm told.

</distrowar>
/me sighs, thinks IHBT, kills lame thread
--
trammell at el-swifto.com | 78BA 706C C5F9 9321 E7C4 933B D063 907B A88E 924B