On Sat, Jun 29, 2002 at 12:38:44PM -0500, nate at refried.org wrote:

> 2. Debian is not hard to install.  If you think otherwise, why do you
>    think it is hard to install?  What makes other distributions easier
>    to install?

Debian is harder to install than just about any other distro except
maybe slackware (Haven't reinstalled a slack box lately), things
like having to download the entire base and put in on what, 6 floppies?

RedHat does this on 2 floppies last time I checked, which includes an
easy to use interface, if you're using the CD's to install it's a nice
pretty GUI that configures everything for you.

dselect, *gag* =)

Some people say you should have to configure everything on your own,
but if you're of that school of thought, you're already spending your
time running something like Debian or Slackware, personally I don't
have the time to spend mucking around with things that I already know
how to configure when the distro can do it for me (ie, kudzu).

> 3. People who think running Debian is "cool" should be dopeslapped.
>    They are likely to reinstall their system every month trying out the
>    latest "cool" distro.  I use Debian because apt makes installing
>    software so easy and Debian makes tons of software available.  Some
>    people like the Debian social contract and how all of the software is
>    free (as in speech).

Debian is 'cool' to people who get continually harassed by the people
in various social forums that are called 'debian zealots', once they're
running debian they're part of the in-crowd. Kind of sad actually.

And yes, I run debian on my bare-minimal install laptop with no X.