On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Amy Tanner wrote:
> I'm thinking of setting up spamassassin and according to:
>
> http://spamassassin.org/sitewide.html
>
> ...there are several ways of setting up site-wide.  I noticed
> MIMEDefang listed as an option to filter viruses & spam, which looked
> like a nice option.
>
> Anyone using this and care to comment?  Pros/cons on using this versus
> other options?

Yes.

It rocks. You have to be using Sendmail to do this, of course, because
Mimedefang's milter, and nothing else supports Milter yet, afaik.

Only issue is per-user prefs for SA won't work without some options in
Mimedefang that increase load quite a bit if you get messages that go to
multiple recipients (stream_by_user, iirc, which makes it process the
message again for each user, instead of processing it one time for all
users).

Also, if you can, use one of the efficient virus scanners, like sophie --
I'm still using uvscan for most places, which launces the virus scanner
each time a message comes in, instead of just making a TCP connection to a
box with the virus scanner..