Mike Jentges wrote:
> Wow. Thank Tux for Visi, Skypoint, PConline, and all the other locals. Yeah.
> The ones that AREN't going to be the next MS or Walmart. Register my box
> with my ISP? Uh no. I pay them for internet access, none of their damn

We are registering the *cable modem*, which is much different than your
machine.  I believe they are going to stop doing that.

It's just a god damn mac address.   If your going to connect to my
network here, I would require it too for wireless.  At work, we want to
know for wired and wireless in case we need to track an errant
workstation down.

CABLE IS NOT DSL.  The 'last mile' medium is shared.  There needs to be
high coordination and control on this medium.  Note that DSL doesn't
have this, but they have to do the same *one level up* from the co all
the way to your ISP in a highly structured fashion.  Run a thinnet
network sometime and you'll appreciate all the hard work it is to run a
cable network for data.

> business what box I connect with, as long as I don't violate policy. Since I
> assume most readers here are local to the Twin Cities, how about paying the
> extra $3-$5/mo or whatever to support the locals since you might want to

Uh, for me to get equilivant bandwidth that gets 15ms to work would cost
well over $300. (SDSL 1.5mbit or Qwest 1.5mbit would both easily hit
that)  Thats even if qwest can service me!

--
Scott Dier <dieman at ringworld.org> http://www.ringworld.org/