> We are registering the *cable modem*, which is much different than your
> machine.  I believe they are going to stop doing that.

Either way. Sounds like a step backward. whatever happened to PAP/CHAP? I've
never seen 'cable' in action so I have no idea how it all works (or
doesn't). Strikes me as odd it needs to be told a MAC address by something
as inefficient as humans. The original statement was that this was the
reason for failure. Like if I brought a laptop home I'd have to contact
them, bla bla to get inet access.

> It's just a god damn mac address.   If your going to connect to my
> network here, I would require it too for wireless.  At work, we want to
> know for wired and wireless in case we need to track an errant
> workstation down.

Sure. These aren't workstations though, and what need to 'track them down' ?

> CABLE IS NOT DSL.  The 'last mile' medium is shared.  There needs to be
> high coordination and control on this medium.  Note that DSL doesn't
> have this, but they have to do the same *one level up* from the co all
> the way to your ISP in a highly structured fashion.  Run a thinnet
> network sometime and you'll appreciate all the hard work it is to run a
> cable network for data.

But, if I were ATT selling it to people all over, I'd try to make sure I
knew how to run it first.
Or at the very least, hire someone who did. It's not like this is the first
string between 2 soup cans for them.

> > business what box I connect with, as long as I don't violate policy.
Since I
> > assume most readers here are local to the Twin Cities, how about paying
the
> > extra $3-$5/mo or whatever to support the locals since you might want to
>
> Uh, for me to get equilivant bandwidth that gets 15ms to work would cost
> well over $300. (SDSL 1.5mbit or Qwest 1.5mbit would both easily hit
> that)  Thats even if qwest can service me!

Sounds as though they've already won, doesn't it? Be interesting to see what
happens to the rates and saleries once they squash the last competitive bug
out.
It's not like I want to be right here, believe me. I just think it's a point
that should be considered wherever possible, for all our sake. Look at what
happens to the price of Gasoline from Thursday thru Sunday. No one is there
to challenge them, why not?

Along the same line, before it was halted, just how many steaks were those 2
auto glass outfits up to? Now one of them offers the chance to 'win them'. I
didn't see anything like that posted here about ATT.
 It sounded like quite the opposite.

Anyhow, this is likely better suited for some business mail list or
something. Drifted away a bit.  :)
Sorry.

-mj