Hello LUGers,

I am trying to set up a raw IO device for my DVD-ROM (/dev/hdd) and have
reached an impasse.

Many sites have pointed me to
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/sct/raw-io to get a kernel
patch, however, I see that the most recent patch there is over a year old.

I am using a bleeding edge kernel (2.4.19pre8) and am assuming this code is
already implemented in the newer kernel source trees.

My problem is, I cannot, for the life of me, find the option in the
kernel configure script to enable raw devices; or if support for raw devices
is
automatically compiled into the kernel I do not know how to set them up
since all documentation I have found says to use the 'raw' executable (which
I don't have).

It is extremely possible that I am missing something very obvious here (like
maybe 'raw' is part of another software package that has yet to be upgraded
on my system?)

Anyway, any help you could give me would be appreciated.

LB