On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 10:59:57AM -0500, Loren Burlingame wrote:
>Hello LUGers,
>
>I am trying to set up a raw IO device for my DVD-ROM (/dev/hdd) and have
>reached an impasse.
>
>Many sites have pointed me to
>ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/sct/raw-io to get a kernel
>patch, however, I see that the most recent patch there is over a year old.

I don't think you need a kernel patch for this. I don't use one for my
DVD-ROM. RAW device means reading directly from /dev/hdd as opposed to
mounting it like you do a CD (mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom)

most of the dvd playing apps are set by default to look for /dev/dvd and
/dev/rdvd. You should be able to configure that or just make symlinks
ln -sf /dev/hdd /dev/dvd
ln -sf /dev/hdd /dev/rdvd