when last we saw our hero (Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002),
 Troy.A Johnson was madly tapping out:
> Steve,
>
> This is a little loose: 80% of 16k are Word or Frame.  How many
> Word? How many Frame?

i was curious about the breakdown a couple months back so i did a
quick survey of document types.  most of the documents were word.  i
did this across all of the documents that were in the repository which
includes a fair number of marketing types as well.  engineering docs
were more often than not frame while the marketroids (who incidently
still produce "professional quality documents") tended to gravitate to
the MS formats.    with the recent changes in framemaker to be less
*nix friendly the balance has shifted to be more word-centric.

all of the documents are placed into a reposity which uses an oracle
back end for handling the meta data associated with a given document
as well as providing really nice ACLs for controlling who can get
access to the document and such.  it's really slick.  if you don't
have word or framemaker on your workstation you can still run the
documents through a pdf or html output filter which will handle most
of the nasties of conversion.  word documents can be problematic since
many times they include other objects which don't render into pdf or
html nicely.  (ref my spreadsheet insanity). documents are also
indexed for content to allow searching. (unfortunately using verity
and not google.)  documents are also virus checked prior to check-in
to prevent infection from dorks.

template use and structure is very much encouraged.  especially since
it makes life easier for people overall.  it's not nirvana but it's
the best management system i've ever seen.   that, and forums where
people can be flamed for doing stupid stuff in the engineering ranks
tends to make people a bit more aware about the stuff that they do.

all of this is really besides the point - it's a tool that can be
(ab)used. if you have powerful tools that non-technically oriented
people can efficiently use in the creation of complex documents and
exchange them with geeks that's a good thing.  use the right tool for
the job.  TeX/LyX are not the right tools for exchanging documents
with people who need to do things which evolve continually.  it's fine
for a research paper when the content is well baked but if it's
changing all the time and still subject to publication you need a
different hammer.

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC