On Wednesday 24 July 2002 10:15 am, Christopher A. Gahlon wrote:
> Help!!!  The CEO has just mandiated unified calendaring/scheduling for our
> company.  And unless I can find a viable alternative he says I'll be stuck
> supporting exchange and outpuke.

Realistically, if you're going to be having folks running Windows boxes,
you're going to have to support Exchange Server, will be less than trying to
use any of the few available *nix groupware applications.  As somebody else
pointed out, the scheduling stuff is the bottleneck.  Email can be handled
easily with any number of servers and applications -- but, with all its
faults, Exchange does do a good job of group calendaring and scheduling,
particularly the negotiation part, and I've not been able to find a *nix
replacement that works with Outlook -- and you're not going to get everybody
involved to drop Outlook, more than likely.

If you really want to investigate it further than I've been able to do, you'll
have to start with some alternative that can handle exchange/outlook
meeting/task requests, and I'm not aware of anything that can -- Microsoft's
use of proprietary formats has, so far, worked for them in this.