At my work, we use Lotus Notes/Domino....which is a decent program for
email/calendering, but man, it sucks to set up and maintain...we have it
running on a windows 2000 server and the server has to be rebooted at least
once a month due to some kind of memory leak that slowly eats up all available
memory/swap.  All of our other w2k servers (that don't have domino running on
them) can run for months without being rebooted.

Anyways, it's an alternative for you if you want to stay away from exchange.
And yes, it does sync with palm/pocket pc devices.  We use a third-party
program called Intellisync to do this, as support for notes is not built-in to
many of the palm desktop software packages.

Good luck!
-Erik