On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 11:15:03PM -0500, Austad, Jay wrote:
> What's the best printing system to use for it?  CUPS or lprng?  I set up
> cups, but there's no driver for it, so I had to use the HP LaserJet driver.
> It's not really a driver, more of a config file for it.  The driver itself
> is the printer.o module for usb printers.

There are many more pieces to the printing puzzle than just CUPS or
lprng.  Those, IIRC, are just spoolers.  They don't know how to figure
out what you're printing (ps, text, jpeg, html, etc) or what language
your printer understands (ps, pcl, printgear, etc).  The printer.o
module is just the USB printer driver which is analogous to the parallel
port driver parport_pc.o.  It just gives you a device to send data to.

> Anyone have any pointers for making my sexy new printer work nicely?

http://www.linuxprinting.org/

This is hands down the best Linux printing site I've ever come across.
Their foomatic scripts work great and they have a great printer
database.

Nate