The way I do things is this:

I set the printer up in CUPS, then when I want to print I use kprinter (If I
recall correctly, you do use kde).

kprinter myfile

kprinter will convert it to .ps if it isn't already and do all of the page
formatting that might be necessary.

I have found that by printing directly to the printer using lpr or lpr-cups
from Opera,Netscape,Konq etc.. I often get garbage printed out:(

Nick