Are you using RedHat?  If so make sure that when you use the lp* commands,
they are going to Cups.  By default they are for LPRng.  I know the latest
versions anyway use the alternitives system (from debian) to allow switching
easily.

I have the ML-1250 and like it a lot. I use Cups, because I like the nice web
interface for it..  and management under cups with a network makes more
logical sence to me than the lpr style.

I have mine set up on Debian, and had all sorts of troubles with USB
permissions screwing things up, so I went to using Paralell (I dont do that
much printing so the speed difference dosnt bother me)

Jay