Jay Kline <list at slushpupie.com> wrote:

> The problem I see with this method is mostly a question of ownership.
> Normaly when a DOS filesystem is mounted, the owner is root.  of course, you
> can change that, but I think only root can.  So someone logging in would need
> to either execute some setuid script (bad idea for a login, I would think) or
> their home directory would be only writeable by root, or everyone would have
> access to it.

Yeah, the solution to that would be to allow the user to mount the floppy
by setting an appropriate option in /etc/fstab..  Of course, you probably
run into catch-22 situations where you can't unmount the disk because the
script telling the disk to unmount is on /home or something.

I dunno, having /home on a floppy is an interesting idea, but I think the
cost of implementing something like that just outweighs the simplicity of
having /floppy, for instance..

Still, this can get messy when people eject the disk at the wrong time,
forgetting to unmount.  Get LS-120 or Zip drives that will lock and
prevent ejection when mounted..

Bah, if only UDF writing worked in Linux, then you could do the same thing
with CD-RWs (cheaper media at the cost of spendier drives, though they're
getting pretty cheap these days).

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Don't be a sexist, broads