The problem I see with this method is mostly a question of ownership.
Normaly when a DOS filesystem is mounted, the owner is root.  of course, you
can change that, but I think only root can.  So someone logging in would need
to either execute some setuid script (bad idea for a login, I would think) or
their home directory would be only writeable by root, or everyone would have
access to it.

Jay

On Wednesday 30 January 2002 09:39 am, you wrote:
> Here's a hypothetical question that I've been toying with.  Is it feasible
> to designate /home as /dev/fd0?  How about if the floppy in question is an
> MS-DOS disk?
>
> Here's a scenario where I think this might make sense.  You have a public
> computer lab that people walk into to do work, e.g. Web research or
> development, OpenOffice word processing, etc.  These people want to take
> their work with them when they leave, both so that they can open their
> files on other (probably Windows) computers, and so that other people in
> the lab can't open their files -- not even the sysadmins.
>
> So the lab is a network of Linux workstations, each of which has a floppy
> drive.  One of the machines has two floppy drives and runs a special
> menu-driven program that lets people create accounts in the shared passwd
> file (writing a username directory to their floppy disk containing basic
> config files, .login et al.), back up their files to a second floppy, etc.
>
> When the user sits down at one of the workstations, she puts her disk into
> the drive before logging in.  The workstation finds her login name in the
> shared passwd database and finds her files in /home/username, which is
> /dev/fd0/username.  Her Web bookmarks, e-mail address book, and files are
> all on that floppy, which she takes with her when she leaves and can open
> on any Windows machine.
>
> I know there are inherent limitations to this plan, since 1.4 MB isn't as
> much space as it used to be, and Windows has trouble with some UNIX file
> naming conventions and so could inadvertantly screw up the home directory.
> I'm not actually planning to do it.  But I'm curious: could it work?  --Ben

Jay Kline
list at slushpupie.com
http://www.slushpupie.com
--
Q:	How many existentialists does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A:	Two.  One to screw it in and one to observe how the lightbulb