    BS> Here's a hypothetical question that I've been toying with.  Is it feasible to
    BS> designate /home as /dev/fd0?  How about if the floppy in question is an
    BS> MS-DOS disk?

I'm not sure this would be the best way to do what you want, since in
Unix user configuration info lives in the home directory.  This means
you'll end up with some horrible windows-like situation where data and
configuration are all gunked together.

How about this alternative:

1.  Let people log in and create accounts per your plan, but keep
their home directory on some kind of quasi read-only (or otherwise
quota'ed) store.

2.  Mount the floppy as /home/user/documents and make them do their
work on the documents.  This means they can still have .<foo>rc files
that make sense in the context of the lab, but can have documents that
they can carry around.

Alternatively, I suppose, you could have them have /home/user mounted
as floppy1 and /home/user/documents as floppy2.  That seems cumbersome
and not very user-friendly, though.