Sure, in theory. You'll forfeit all unix-ish filesystem thingies by doing
this withoug UMSDOS. If you do it with UMSDOS then you'll leave the floppy
in a state the end user won't understand. One of the problems is what to
do about non-8.3 filenames. If you mount the disk as vfat (that's an
option in Linux isn't it?) then you should be ok with the long filenames.

Thinking...

Oh yes, directory permissions. Won't /home take on user's umask since
there aren't any real permissions? Watch out for that and keep nosy people
off of the same box. It's likely that this means you either tweak umask or
make the boxes single user.

Joshua b. Jore
http://www.greentechnologist.org