Here's a hypothetical question that I've been toying with.  Is it feasible to
designate /home as /dev/fd0?  How about if the floppy in question is an
MS-DOS disk?

Here's a scenario where I think this might make sense.  You have a public
computer lab that people walk into to do work, e.g. Web research or
development, OpenOffice word processing, etc.  These people want to take
their work with them when they leave, both so that they can open their files
on other (probably Windows) computers, and so that other people in the lab
can't open their files -- not even the sysadmins.

So the lab is a network of Linux workstations, each of which has a floppy
drive.  One of the machines has two floppy drives and runs a special
menu-driven program that lets people create accounts in the shared passwd
file (writing a username directory to their floppy disk containing basic
config files, .login et al.), back up their files to a second floppy, etc.

When the user sits down at one of the workstations, she puts her disk into
the drive before logging in.  The workstation finds her login name in the
shared passwd database and finds her files in /home/username, which is
/dev/fd0/username.  Her Web bookmarks, e-mail address book, and files are all
on that floppy, which she takes with her when she leaves and can open on any
Windows machine.

I know there are inherent limitations to this plan, since 1.4 MB isn't as
much space as it used to be, and Windows has trouble with some UNIX file
naming conventions and so could inadvertantly screw up the home directory.
I'm not actually planning to do it.  But I'm curious: could it work?  --Ben