I could be way off here (I've only done one apache+php install), but when
you configure it (when installing from source) don't you need to pass
something to both apache and php?  For example, with php you'd do
something like:

./configure --with-apache=../apache_x.x.xx --enable-track-vars

and with apache you'd do something like:

./configure --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a \
--enable-module=php4 --prefix=/usr/local/apache

Of course, the paths above are subject to change for your system.

Then you would need to tweak your httpd.conf file like you've indicated
below.

Devshed (www.devshed.com) has a howto that goes into a bit more detail
that you need (also covers ssl and mysql) but you might find it helpful.

http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/PHP/SoothinglySeamless/page1.html

Jeff