> I could be way off here (I've only done one apache+php install), but
> when you configure it (when installing from source) don't you need to
> pass something to both apache and php?  For example, with php you'd do
> something like:
>
> ./configure --with-apache=../apache_x.x.xx --enable-track-vars

you should probably do this after the Apache configure and install,

what is enable-track-vars for?

you may want to do a --with-apxs=<path-to-apxs-binary, default
is /usr/local/apache/bin/apxs>

> and with apache you'd do something like:
>
> ./configure --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a \
> --enable-module=php4 --prefix=/usr/local/apache

this is old-style, new style is to use so's, just do an --enable-module=so
rather than the --activate-module, then with using apxs in the php config
the most you have to do is to remove a comment from http.conf

 -munir