On Wednesday 16 January 2002 11:34 am, you wrote:
<snip>
> > Video editing on the desktop could have  been a "killer app" for Linux,
>>but it completely missed the boat.
>
> As a Broadcast Engineer, unless you're really green, you should be
> aware that this is comparing apples to oranges.  Digital video editing
> started back in the late 70's and early 80's (notably with LucasFilm's
> SoundDroid and VideoDroid projects, under Andy Moorer who spun off to
> become Sonic Solutions when Lucas backed out.)  Linux didn't even
> exist then.

I don't exactly know what you consider "really green".  I know my way around
a modern broacast facility but I've ony been in broadcasting for 6 years
(I'm 32).  But much has changed in that time.  Nearly every piece of
equipment is software based or runs on PC architecture.  And analog signals
have gone the way of the dinasaour in most studios.

Your right Phil...but please notice I said "desktop".  I don't understand why
no one developing for Linux in the last 3-4 years would try to create
applications for this viable market (that being desktop editing on a prosumer
level).  I mean products like imovie or idvd for Mac.  Why doesn't a product
like that exist for Linux today?  It is still a growing market and it sounds
like tools are now being developed.  But again it may be another year or two
before we seen that kind of quality application.  Maybe it's because I simply
don't have a thorough understand of Linux's development history.  But as a
newbie to Linux, my alternative OS, I hate to see it once again lagging
behind.   Heck I'll be happy to plug along, learning as I go.

> They didn't develop for Linux at that time, because the tools they
> needed were more readily available elsewhere (Mac).

As is the case today.  The tools for editing video readily exist on Mac and
Windows.   So how will Linux ever get ahead?

> If you're talking about Linux not leading the way with the tools
> trickling down to the semi-pro / consumer level, well, it's usually
> the original platform or a close cousin that gets to lead the way.

I would kindly disagree here.  The Mac platform lead the way for many years.
Now more hardware/software for video editing (even still image manipulation)
is  sold for the Windows platform both for consumers and professionals.  At
least according to broadcast trade magazines.

> This is one of the downsides of the earlier days of Linux as a DIY
> hacker project -- it didn't have it's foot in very many doors that
> weren't dorm rooms or CSCI geeks'/depts.  These days, Linux *is*
> considered as a place to start, but you have to look harder to find an
> open field to plow.

You sound like you have a long history with Linux and a much greater
understanding than I.  Could you shed some light on what you believe these
"open fields" may represent?  Thanks for the info Phil.