On Wednesday 16 January 2002 22:54, Phil Mendelsohn wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 09:16:22PM -0600, Jack Ungerleider wrote:
>
> Not a fair conclusion -- when you've got 6-digit gear to depreciate.
> It won't happen until the next purchasing cycle.  I remember the Video
> Toaster -- I was working in video then, and there were quite a few
> video guys who had a great toy to play with, but they would often be a
> little bummed that they couldn't bring it into work to use.  There
> were a lot of things that were snazzier/easier than CMX editing,
> though it didn't come close to a 2" Ampex machine for picture quality.

I agree with most of this. At the time a VideoToaster unit from NewTek cost
about $5000 or $6000 for all the features, if I remember correctly. For large
TV operations that was a viable "experimentation" number. I was out of the
video business by that time. (I actually was only involved tangentally
anyway.) I'm going on cloudy memories of PR from NewTek and Amiga at the time.

> There -- I don't think there were any flames involved, were there? :)
No there weren't. Thank you very much. 8^)

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com