On Wed, Jan 16, 2002 at 11:30:22AM -0600, Rodd Ahrenstorff wrote:

> Your right Phil...but please notice I said "desktop".  I don't
> understand why no one developing for Linux in the last 3-4 years
> would try to create applications for this viable market (that being
> desktop editing on a prosumer level).

I guess that's sort of the answer:  it's not people who develop for
Linux that drive the process -- it's people who market video stuff.
If *they* see Linux as a feature, then they can push the engineers to
incorporate it.  Otherwise, the engineers tend to go for the low
hanging fruit.

> But as a newbie to Linux, my alternative OS, I hate to see it once
> again lagging behind.  Heck I'll be happy to plug along, learning as
> I go.

Take heart -- in my experience, Linux lags initially, but once it
reaches a critical mass, it really takes off.

> As is the case today.  The tools for editing video readily exist on Mac and
> Windows.   So how will Linux ever get ahead?

Well, the same way development on any other platform will:  through a
combination of clever/talented developers, and committed and coherent
marketing.  The thing about Linux is that it's easier for these people
to get into the game, since they don't have to pay so many licenses
for the base work.

> > If you're talking about Linux not leading the way with the tools
> > trickling down to the semi-pro / consumer level, well, it's usually
> > the original platform or a close cousin that gets to lead the way.

> I would kindly disagree here.  The Mac platform lead the way for
> many years.  Now more hardware/software for video editing (even
> still image manipulation) is sold for the Windows platform both for
> consumers and professionals.  At least according to broadcast trade
> magazines.

You're not really disagreeing, you're noting a shift in the market
over 10 years.  There's no reason the next one couldn't be towards
Linux.  Frankly, as someone who used to run a digital media based
business on a daily basis, I don't know why people ever suffered
through non-real-time, non-multi-tasking systems.  From the bottom
line point of view, it becomes obvious that the more bits you can
shuffle from source media to delivery media, the more $$ the company
makes.  This is one area where Linux really does offer advantages to
some of the other systems.

> You sound like you have a long history with Linux and a much greater
> understanding than I.

Well, that's just how I sound. ;)

> Could you shed some light on what you believe these
> "open fields" may represent?

I just mean that if you were to sit down and say "what's an
application that hasn't been done before?", it becomes a lot harder to
make a list.  Office/"productivity" software, databases, real-time
systems, communications/media -- computers have already been applied
to lots of these fields.  It's hard to find wheels that haven't
already been invented than it was 30, 20, or even 10 years ago.

--
www.rephil.org

"Trying to do something with your life is like
sitting down to eat a moose." --Douglas Wood