I like segmentation, and my file server at home has
a number of partitions.

It makes things easier to move around when you
get a new drive (but not one so new that it dwarfs
your previous space -- those make it easy).

It makes upgrading the OS a lot less fearful, but it
has caused one problem: an upgrade from ext2 to
ext3 (for all 10 partitions) made my file server run a
bit slower. It isn't horrible, but noticable. I am not
concerned enough to thoroughly investigate, but
from looking things over a bit it seems that a daemon
(kjournald?) runs for each partition to guarantee the
journal is up to date (I assume).

Is there anything else that could take the punch out
of a server (K6-2 233MHz/384MB SDRAM) in the
upgrade form RH71 to RH72?

Have a great day,

Troy