On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 12:53:23PM -0800, Paul Harris wrote:

> One option is to house it in a plastic storage tub, but it suddenly
> occured to me that ths may be a static electricity problem waiting
> to happen.  Any thoughts from the engineering types?

Oh, and I thought you were talking about some kind of nice hardwood
thing.  If a plastic storage tub blends into the decor of your living
room, are you sure it's worth the trouble? :)

But really, the answer to your question is "it depends."  First it
depends on the *kind* of plastic; some are conductive, some aren't.
And then it depends on how you hook up the case and deal with
grounding.  If you ground it properly, you could do it.

However, since a static "zap" can be on the order of 30,000 volts
(very little current, usually, fortunately), you really might want to
test the static end of things out *before* you put your computer in
it.

One other thing you might try is something I learned when I helped
manage ESD abatement in our electronics assembly facility.  It turns
out that if you put 1/4 cup of Downy in a spray bottle, fill the rest
with water, and spray the carpet, not only are you getting rid of your
static pretty well, but you meet an ISO static standard (forget
which).  I never woulda thunk it, but the Manufacturing Engineer who
told me came from Sperry Satellite Systems -- and they all had to wear
two heel straps, wrist straps, yada yada.  Or you can just spray a
little Downy on the floor!  ;)

Still, be careful grounding your case -- you also have safety
grounding to consider, and we haven't even touched upon RF.  If you
put it in a plastic box, you may never be able to watch broadcast TV
again. ;)

--
"Trying to do something with your life is like
sitting down to eat a moose." --Douglas Wood