| HP Laserjet 1200SE (same as HP-1200 according to HP)
| - HP PCL 6, HP PCL 5e, PostScript® Level 2 emulation
| - 72mb memory
| - I have a PPD from HP.SourceForge (if that helps)

Does that mean the printer actually speaks PS? If so, you shouldn't need
to do much filtering at all.

I used to use LPRng + samba for printing. It worked well enough, but some
of the filters were crappy. Every now and then they would barf on some
image. (Text was always fine though.)

After playing with cups a bit, I really feel that it is the way to go for
UNIX printing. I really like that once I got things setup on the server,
my unix printing clients just had to have

BrowsePoll myprintserver.home.private:631

added to cupsd.conf. And my /etc/printcap (for non cups aware apps) is
just:

ljet6:

Nice and simple. The unix clients can print. :)

One of the best parts of cups is the web interface for setting up your
printer. Just point your browser to http://printserver:631, login, and off
you go. You should be able to setup eveything you need (including the PPD)
from here.

The cups related stuff I have installed is:
cupsys, cupsys-bsd, cupsys-pstoraster,
cupsomatic-ppd (cups printer ppd's from LinuxPrinting.org)
cupsys-client, libcupsys2

Those are the debian packages. For slackware, everything is prob in one
tarball. (except for the ppd's)

And for the windows clients, you want to do something like:

[global]
	printcap name = /etc/printcap.cups
	printer admin = user1 user2
	lpq command = lpstat -o%p
	lprm command = cancel %p-%j
	queuepause command = disable %p
	queueresume command = enable %p

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /tmp
        create mask = 0700
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[ljet6]
        path = /tmp
        read only = No
        create mask = 0700
        guest ok = Yes
        printable = Yes
        printer name = ljet6
        oplocks = No
        share modes = No

[print$]
        path = /home/samba/print
        read only = No
        guest ok = Yes
        hosts allow = 192.168.1.

All the printing howto's really overcomplicate things. :)

You can see that I have a print$ share. This took a bit of figuring, but I
got samba to share the windows drivers for my printer so Windows 2000
clients will just install the farking driver, and not prompt me about it.
It's like, slick.

Bottom line: cups very good, lprng is ok, and lpd is, well, it's lpd.

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
	"I MIGHT be DANGEROUS!" --The Tick