On Wed, 2002-01-02 at 22:12, Douglas Mosman wrote:
> Please point a bewildered & befuddled newbie in the right direction

Gladly, I detest managing printing services so if i can make someone's
life a little easier....

> Alternately, if the problem is not me but that what I'm trying to do is
> actually rather difficult, please tell me and I will go out and buy a
> $100 print server and end my misery.  I already have far too many Linux
> things to learn without taking weeks to wade through a can of worms
> (plus, lets not forget those hostile stares! <:^0 )

the 100.00 jet direct server thing-a-ma-jig is the simplest, they'll let
you speak appletalk, netbios, IPP, LPR, and all sorts of stuff to them
from your clients.

The cheapest setup is to plug it into the linux box's parallel port,
make sure there's a raw spool setup as well as a filtered spool. The
filtered spool (via magicfilters, or your PPD) is for the linux box(es)
to print to. You then configure the samba to "share" the raw spool. Then
point the windows machines at that share, and configure your own drivers
on that box via the doze printer control panel. That way windows will
essentially be speaking directly to the printer which will keep the
linux filters from getting all corn-fused.

This is really very vague, but it's really all the info you need.

--
Ben Lutgens											http://people.sistina.com/~blutgens/
System Administrator								Sistina Software Inc.

"If you love someone, set them free. If they come home, set them on
fire."
	- George Carlin