Quoting Jim Streit (jstreit at northlans.com):
> I have just recently install Smoothwall also.  I saw it mentioned on
> this list.  Anyway, I have it running on a 486 with 40 megs of ram.
> Everything has been working fine, and I found it really easy to
> install.  My 486 won't boot from the CD-ROM iso image, but they have a
> windows "rawrite" program that is really easy to use to create a floppy
> boot disk.

I think it was mentioned here, but since this threads has been going awhile I do
a cheap plug. :-)

Real Time has a firewall solution that is works on a ThinkNIC, which is is 99%
CDROM based with the last 1% of the config stored in NVRAM (so you can change
ipchains rules, etc). Works pretty slick.

It based off of RedHat 6.2, kernel 2.2, ipchains, etc.

I am very confident in it's functionality and security, since I used one at all
of Viking's home game to connected the front-office people to the game day
network (via a wireless lan no less).

While the Vikings sucked this year, our ThinkNIC firewall worked like a charm.

For security, the NFL IS department gave it it's blessing.

I'm pretty sure minor changes to the ISO is all that would be needed to get it
to work on some other exotic hardware. :-)
--
Minneapolis St. Paul Twin Cities MN        | Phone : (952)943-8700
http://www.mn-linux.org Minnesota Linux    | Fax   : (952)943-8500