On Sun, Feb 24, 2002 at 08:13:07PM -0600, Scott Raun wrote:
> My experience: if Reply-To is not set to the list, then one of these
> things happens -
>
> 1) replies don't happen because they're too much trouble to get to
>    the list

What does this have to do with Reply-To munging?  Sounds like the person
wants to get direct replies as well as replies to the list.  Perhaps a
request to be Cc:'d on subsequent posts would make sense, yet, that
would be a user-request wouldn't it?  Something useful for the Reply-To:
field.

> 2) Reply-All happens, and half the time the poor originator gets
>    two copies of the reply.

Sounds like people need to learn how to use their email clients.
Ignorance of one's software does not qualify as an excuse to be
obnoxious about one's email.

> 3) otherwise interesting and on-topic discussions move to private
>    e-mail, and the list never sees them

That is a lesson in discipline, not a correction via "Reply-To" munging.
If people aren't knowledgable about their email clients and how to use
them properly, then it's high time they learn.

> 2 is really obnoxious to the original poster.  1 & 3 negatively impact
> community building.

I think you're making up excuses for something that is harmful and
inappropriate.  If I make a post that is on-topic, but wish to receive
emails to process via a procmail filter, let's say for voting, I can use
the "Reply-To" field in my email that is originally sent to a list.  If
that list munges my "Reply-To", then confusion ensues.

Reply-To's can be useful, such as when you're using the MAIL-TO forms
from Network Solutions to update your DNS records, or when mailer
daemons send you subscription confirmations.  One should be able to
rely upon the Reply-To header doing useful work.  Redirecting all of my
email to a list by default is not acceptable behavior.

> I've been involved in / had to deal with all of these.  I consider the
> gains of not munging Reply-To to be nowhere near the losses.

That's your opinion.

> I only know of a handful of lists that don't do Reply-To munging.  One
> is a Solaris help list - it has a strong culture of 'post your
> problem, collect the answers from everyone, post back a summary
> including what fixed it to the list'.  It works there.  It is one of
> the few scenarios where I can see it being useful - you need that
> really strong list culture.

Then that's what should happen.  A strong list culture, where netiquette
and responsible moderators help guide the discussion.

> The other lists are alll ones where I disagree with the owner, but
> can't do anything, so I live with it.  I don't know of any other lists
> where Reply-To munging isn't done.

Try all of the lists that Debian hosts, for starters.  Any email lists
that I host, for second.  northshield at minstrel.com for another (SCA
Principality list).  The list goes on.  Reply-To munging is rampant, but
by no means is it a majority.

> I do know of at least one group list - inhabited by strongly
> computer-literate techies - where they debate the topic every two or
> three years.  And they always decide in favor.

I would say it's more like our situation.  No one makes any decisions.
The debate flares up, but nothing is done.  The environment that rules
is the one that is initially set up.  After that, very little changes
unless something large in scale happens to influence it.  I.e. spamming
of the list.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Get my public key, ICQ#, etc. $(mailx -s 'get info' chewie at wookimus.net)