On Sat, Feb 23, 2002 at 10:29:14AM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 06:39:43PM -0600, Mike Hicks wrote:
> > Erm, can you explain why Reply-To is so evil?
>
> Go ask google to tell you about "reply-to considered harmful".

Go ask google to tell you "reply-to considered useful".

I'm on lists where Reply-To doesn't get set to the list.  I consider
them among the most obnoxious of the lists I have to participate in.
And I have to.

My experience: if Reply-To is not set to the list, then one of these
things happens -

1) replies don't happen because they're too much trouble to get to
   the list

2) Reply-All happens, and half the time the poor originator gets
   two copies of the reply.

3) otherwise interesting and on-topic discussions move to private
   e-mail, and the list never sees them

2 is really obnoxious to the original poster.  1 & 3 negatively impact
community building.

I've been involved in / had to deal with all of these.  I consider the
gains of not munging Reply-To to be nowhere near the losses.

I only know of a handful of lists that don't do Reply-To munging.  One
is a Solaris help list - it has a strong culture of 'post your
problem, collect the answers from everyone, post back a summary
including what fixed it to the list'.  It works there.  It is one of
the few scenarios where I can see it being useful - you need that
really strong list culture.

The other lists are alll ones where I disagree with the owner, but
can't do anything, so I live with it.  I don't know of any other lists
where Reply-To munging isn't done.

I do know of at least one group list - inhabited by strongly
computer-literate techies - where they debate the topic every two or
three years.  And they always decide in favor.

--
Scott Raun
sraun at fireopal.org