Dave Sherohman <esper at sherohman.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 22, 2002 at 06:39:43PM -0600, Mike Hicks wrote:
> > Erm, can you explain why Reply-To is so evil?
>
> Go ask google to tell you about "reply-to considered harmful".
>
> Short version:  Most mail clients have separate 'reply to sender' and
> 'reply to sender and all recipients' commands.  Some (like mutt) even
> have a third option, 'reply to mailing list'.  Many people think that
> lists should not override 'reply to sender' to mean 'reply to list' -
> if the user wants to send a reply back to the list, he has other
> commands available for that purpose.

Ah, I see.  Too bad most mailers aren't that smart -- I could see the
benefit in that.  I know I've been annoyed when I actually wanted to reply
directly to the author of a message, but the Reply-To got in the way.
Even clicking Reply All didn't add their address to the list of
recipients.

However, until I see more mail clients supporting the mailing list headers
properly, I'd definitely advocate Reply-To munging.  Unfortunately, I
don't see that happening anytime soon.  E-mail clients have been
reinvented many times, and there's another ongoing cycle with web mail.
Has anyone else noticed that Hotmail doesn't even seem to set In-Reply-To
or References headers anymore?  That's pretty sad, IMHO..  At least Lotus
Notes finally seems to have gotten rid of the bug where replying to a
message would reply to the address in the Sender header field.

Now, I wonder if anyone can convince me that replying above quoted
messages (like what most `groupware' clients do these days) is a good
thing ;-)

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   If everything seems to be
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   working, you obviously