>>1) replies don't happen because they're too much trouble to get to
>>   the list
>>

> What does this have to do with Reply-To munging?  Sounds like the person
> wants to get direct replies as well as replies to the list.  Perhaps a
> request to be Cc:'d on subsequent posts would make sense, yet, that
> would be a user-request wouldn't it?  Something useful for the Reply-To:
> field.

Ummm. Everything sent to the list gets sent to you. Isn't that the point?

Maybe this makes more sense on a list that doesn't require subscription.
But how many are in the days of SPAM?

>>2) Reply-All happens, and half the time the poor originator gets
>>   two copies of the reply.
>>

> Sounds like people need to learn how to use their email clients.
> Ignorance of one's software does not qualify as an excuse to be
> obnoxious about one's email.

Yes it does.

Rule one of the internet is the internet is full of fucktards.

>>3) otherwise interesting and on-topic discussions move to private
>>   e-mail, and the list never sees them
>
> That is a lesson in discipline, not a correction via "Reply-To" munging.
> If people aren't knowledgable about their email clients and how to use
> them properly, then it's high time they learn.

Rule two of the internet is the internet is full of fucktards.

>>I only know of a handful of lists that don't do Reply-To munging.  One
>>is a Solaris help list - it has a strong culture of 'post your
>>problem, collect the answers from everyone, post back a summary
>>including what fixed it to the list'.  It works there.  It is one of
>>the few scenarios where I can see it being useful - you need that
>>really strong list culture.
>>

> Then that's what should happen.  A strong list culture, where netiquette
> and responsible moderators help guide the discussion.

Rule three of the internet is the internet is full of fucktards.

> I would say it's more like our situation.  No one makes any decisions.
> The debate flares up, but nothing is done.  The environment that rules
> is the one that is initially set up.  After that, very little changes
> unless something large in scale happens to influence it.  I.e. spamming
> of the list.

Thats because the majority is in favor of leaving it the hell alone.