<snip>
> I'm trying KDE now.  It does seem to have much smoother mouse movement.
> There are things I don't like, but I'll probably go with it until I find out
> more about the KDE3.0/Gnome2.0 debate.  Thanks for your help.
>
> One more question.  How do I change the default enviroment in my login
> manager?  it's currently defaulting to Gnome, but I'd like to change it to
> KDE.  I'm assuming there's a config file for this, but I'm not sure where,
> or which one.  Thanks again.
</snip>

Heh

Go to K/Start/What-ever-the-hell-it-is > Preferences > System > Login
Manager and K/Start/What-ever-the-hell-it-is > Preferences > System >
Session Manager and that should take care of it (I think)

Yeah, with your specs nothing <em />should be running slow.

<specs>
K6-2 (500) <clocked down from 550>
416 megs of RAM
VooDoo 3 with 16 megs of memory
</specs>

This is my machine and it runs very smoothly. If it weren't for the fact
that things don't crash I wouldn't know that I am not running Windows
2000 anymore.

I tried Ximian GNOME for a couple of days. It looks really nice. It
looks like it should be a commercial product. However, I missed the
stability of KDE.

I would get random freezes. Whole programs (if left too long without
interaction) would just sleep and decide not to wake up. Killing the
programs and restarting them would not help. Most often I'd have to log
out and log back in to set things right and sometimes I would have to
reboot to set things straight.

Also, Ximian treats you like a Windows user. This is either because the
Ximian people think they are so elite that they don't need to give the
users configurability, or they think you are just plain stupid. i.e. In
Ximian you can only change the menus as root. (!!!) Instead of having a
config file for each user. Maybe there is a workaround, maybe I am just
too blind to see it, but KDE was just more welcoming. It tells you 'it
is ok to try things out. In fact, we encourage trying things out!)

KDE is a fine piece of engineering. IMMUHO.

--
Samir M. Nassar
RedConcepts.NET - We Build Communities