> First of all, take everything I say with a grain of salt, I've been up
> for almost 24 hours now.

hey, me too. :)

> What distro are you running? (It might make a difference)

Red Hat 7.1

> What flavor of GNOME are you using? Ximian GNOME is very smooth as
> things go.

as far as the flavor, what ever comes with RH 7.1.

> Both GNOME and KDE are pretty bloaty. For ex satan-worshippers (read:
> windows users) this is a definite plus. Using E will tax your machine if
> you are already using GNOME or KDE. (Maybe you cannot use E with KDE,
> but that is beside the point.)
>
> How much RAM do you have?

1024MB

> How much swap do you have assigned?

1807272

> What is your processor type and clockspeed?

AMD AthlonXP 1700+

> What version is your kernel?

SGI 2.4.2-5SGI kernel (see video card for reason)

> Another tip. What kind of videocard do you have? I had a problem with
> games until it was pointed out to me that I might have set my color
> setting to be higher than my card could handle purely in hardware
> accelleration. So you might want to check your configuration files and
> your videocard and make sure you aren't running in software
> accelleration.

SGI VR3 Quadro 64mb.  This is why I'm running SGI's kernel.  But I know that
I have the same issues with the 2.4.17 and 2.4.2-2 kernels.

> If you have to use GNOME, then use a decent window manager like sawfish
> or something similar. Although I'd recommend KDE over GNOME. At least
> until I can compare the outcoming KDE 3.0 and GNOME 2.0
>
> OK, my brain is segfaulting. Time to shut down before I blue-screen

I'm trying KDE now.  It does seem to have much smoother mouse movement.
There are things I don't like, but I'll probably go with it until I find out
more about the KDE3.0/Gnome2.0 debate.  Thanks for your help.

One more question.  How do I change the default enviroment in my login
manager?  it's currently defaulting to Gnome, but I'd like to change it to
KDE.  I'm assuming there's a config file for this, but I'm not sure where,
or which one.  Thanks again.

Jeff