On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 10:05:15AM -0600, Brian wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Jason Lohrenz wrote:
> Something I would suggest is what my ISP does.. keep the accounting
> info on a worksation tucked away on the corner with NO network access.
> Once a month, download the radius/xfer log data to a floppy and
> sneakernet it to the accounting machine.  That way even in a complete
> server comprimise, customer data is locked away tightly.  Then write
> import scripts into your favorite accounting package to sort the data
> and bill appropriately.

Very good advice.  A little draconic, but good advice none-the-less.  I
wouldn't be too jumpy about keeping the usage accounting statistics on
net-accessible machines, as long as the data is redundantly spread
across a couple machines (at least), and as long as you've secured down
the box as much as possible.  (i.e. Only run the software you need to
complete the task at hand, do your development on another box.  Shut off
all services except those that are absolutely needed. etc.)

Personal information, such as Names, credit card numbers, account
numbers, financial information, etc, should certainly be kept on a
private network, not accessible via the net or as Brian put, not
connected at all.  Again, only install the software that is necessary to
complete said task.  Make sure your printer is local.

--
Chad Walstrom <chewie at wookimus.net>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie
Get my public key, ICQ#, etc. $(mailx -s 'get info' chewie at wookimus.net)