On Wednesday 13 February 2002 01:59 pm, Chad C. Walstrom wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 10:05:15AM -0600, Brian wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Jason Lohrenz wrote:
> > Something I would suggest is what my ISP does.. keep the accounting
> > info on a worksation tucked away on the corner with NO network access.
> > Once a month, download the radius/xfer log data to a floppy and
> > sneakernet it to the accounting machine.  That way even in a complete
> > server comprimise, customer data is locked away tightly.  Then write
> > import scripts into your favorite accounting package to sort the data
> > and bill appropriately.
>
> Very good advice.  A little draconic, but good advice none-the-less.  I
> wouldn't be too jumpy about keeping the usage accounting statistics on
> net-accessible machines, as long as the data is redundantly spread
> across a couple machines (at least), and as long as you've secured down
> the box as much as possible.  (i.e. Only run the software you need to
> complete the task at hand, do your development on another box.  Shut off
> all services except those that are absolutely needed. etc.)
>
> Personal information, such as Names, credit card numbers, account
> numbers, financial information, etc, should certainly be kept on a
> private network, not accessible via the net or as Brian put, not
> connected at all.  Again, only install the software that is necessary to
> complete said task.  Make sure your printer is local.

Probably worthwhile advice in general; after installed Mandrake, I went
through and shut down all the services that I don't use.  (I'm not, for
example, running ftp or a website or a mailing list or a database, so I shut
down all those services.  The only thing that I'm at all concerned about --
perhaps, as opposed to "should be concerned about"  -- is SMTP, and I *think*
I've got access restricted to local addresses, as I'm running fetchmail to
fetch my mail, and don't need a full mailserver locally.)

If somebody wants to, at some point, see if they can get into my system
(without hurting it), I'd love to see if it's possible.

--
There's a widow in sleepy Chester