Nate Carlson wrote:

> On 31 Jan 2002, Dave Royer wrote:
> > I just got the laterst edition of "Linux Journal" in the mail and the
> > cover story is about setting up your own wireless network at home.
> >
> > My question is, has anyone set up a base station using one of the
> > Orinoco cards?
>
> I've used Orinoco cards under Linux; haven't done base station mode,
> though. (IIRC, they can't become a true base station, just ad-hoc mode..)

This is true.  I tried to setup a linux wireless gateway with Orinoco
cards at work about 6 months ago and read somewhere (wireless howto?)
there is a special code passed to the Orinoco card's when plugged into a
base-station that tells them to allow 11Mbps.

Under linux all you'll get out of the Orinoco cards is the ad-hoc
3?Mbps.

Christopher Gahlon