On Monday 04 February 2002 13:02, you wrote:
> Nate Carlson wrote:
>
> This is true.  I tried to setup a linux wireless gateway with Orinoco
> cards at work about 6 months ago and read somewhere (wireless howto?)
> there is a special code passed to the Orinoco card's when plugged into a
> base-station that tells them to allow 11Mbps.
>
> Under linux all you'll get out of the Orinoco cards is the ad-hoc
> 3?Mbps.
>
> Christopher Gahlon

Not true.  I have two Orinoco cards installed in PCMCIA-to-ISA bridges.  One
is in a PII-233MHz and the other in a 486-100MHz.  These machines provide a
wireless link between my "main floor" and "basement" subnets, and they both
run at 11Mb/s (as long as I keep the 486 next to the basement window; if I
move it behind the wall, the S/N ratio drops so low that the speed drops down
to 5.5Mb/s or even 2Mb/s).  These cards are configured to use the IBSS mode
(not the Orinoco "Ad-Hoc" mode).

It was a bear to get the kernel and drivers set up and working correctly, but
once I did (and stopped using a flaky Compaq as one end of the connection),
it works just fine.

Jeff Clark                                     mailto:jclark at citilink.com
"Too soon old, too late smart."        http://www.citilink.com/~jclark
Microsoft's success proves "You can fool some of the people, all of the time."